The implication of the local community is carried out in several ways, such as:
– The direct economic involvement of the community, through the contracting of people from Hanimadhoo for many work positions within the Eco Hotel.
– The promulgation of knowledge on the environment and culture of Maldives, especially of Hanimadhoo, through specific activities for tourists (cultural guided cycling tours, escorted exploration of the forest).
– All commodities accessible on the island, including food, are obtained locally to support the local economy and reduce transportation-related carbon emissions.
– The development of specific environmental education programs in collaboration with the local school.
– The development of a project of waste sorting within the Maldivian families of Hanimadhoo, which is the first step towards recycling.
In addition to this, all the staff at The Barefoot Eco Hotel works every day to improve the environmental and social situation of the island.
There are a few projects that are still under development.